TIPS: HOW TO FIND YOUR BIRD
1. File a lost pet report with your local animal control officer and your local shelter.
For Ottawa, you can file a report online with the Ottawa Humane Society at http://www.ottawahumane.ca/services/lost-and-found/claim-your-lost-pet/lost-animal-report/
For the l'Outaouais, you can file a report online with the SPCA l'Outaouais at
For surrounding areas, please see our tab "Important Contact Numbers" for other local shelters and animal control officers. http://www.ottawaandvalleylostpetnetwork.ca/important-numbe…
2. Post your bird on our Facebook page, Ottawa and Valley Lost Pet Network. This is a free service.
3. Put your bird’s cage outside so if he’s nearby he can see it. Many times, your bird may be near but too scared to even vocalize to let you know it. The cage and familiar toys will help entice him.
4. If you have another bird that is a mate or friend, bring them outside, caged, of course. Only do this when you are there to supervise. Never leave the other bird outside alone.
5. Check Kijiji, Used Ottawa and other buy and sell sites as many people post ads there. Look in every category including: Lost and Found, Free to Good Home, and For Sale. Post an ad on Kijiji and make use of social media such as Twitter, Facebook and Reddit. Post ads on other lost pet sites such as Helping Lost Pets.
6. Create and distribute a lost bird poster. For more information on how to create an effective poster, please check out the Missing Pet Partnership's website. You can also create a free poster on Helping Lost Pets.
7. Make index cards with the same information as above and go to every home, in every direction from the site of where your bird disappeared. Give people a card, slide cards under doors and place them on windshields. Stop and speak with every person you encounter - the more people who know about your lost bird, the more likely the person who spots him will call you.
8. Make familiar sounds for your bird when searching your neighborhood. Be sure to bring along a favourite treat or toy.